Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter

Today is Easter. When we were kids, we'd wake up to a living room visited by the Easter Bunny. Candy on window sills, in plants, tucked inside vases. Chocolate eggs and bunnies littered the floor. Unlike Santa who placed gifts in one spot - under a tree - this rabbit saw fit to scatter the evidence of his visit. To this day, my favorite candy is the little bird's nests: chocolate-covered nests made of coconut with three jelly beans as eggs.

Of course, Easter was also about going to church. Just as with Christmas, we were hauled away to Episcopalian and Catholic services. I understood why we went to church; I may not have got past Noah's Ark in Bible School but I knew enough about why we were there to show adequate reverence. Going to church wasn't an option. I couldn't say that I'd rather stay home and organize my candy. Attendance was mandatory. Easter and Christmas really were the only days of the year that we went to church.

I distrust people who only go to church on Easter and Christmas. True believers either go - religiously - or they choose not to go at all. I am of the latter group: I choose not to attend, even on the most important days in the Christian calendar. My reasons are two-fold: 1) attending church is not, I believe, needed for my salvation, and 2) going to worship only twice a year makes a mockery of God. If you're going to say you're a "good" Christian, then you should go to church every Sunday, at least. If you don't and still claim to be a good Christian and then go to church on Easter and Christmas, you're basically telling God that you'll do what you're supposed to do when it's convenient for you. And then you ask for salvation, to win the lottery, and judge me for not going to church at all. Fair weather Christians indeed. I think you will be judged more harshly then those of us who are at least honest with ourselves and our God(s).

I'm going to go mow the lawn now and paint birdhouses. That's how I observe Easter.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Thad. Attending church is not needed for our salvation. It is not about church attendance or keeping rules, it is about our relationship with God. Interestingly, more and more mainstream Christians are saying no to church. See http://www.biblicalrecorder.org/post/2009/03/25/Saying-no-to-Sundays.aspx

    ReplyDelete