Monday, April 13, 2009

PETA

Yes, PETA's European cohort did suggest to the Pet Shop Boys that they change their name to "Rescue Shelter Boys." The band didn't, of course, but they apparently added something to their website in support of PETA Europe (I don't know for sure because I can't do it, I can't bring myself to visit the Pet Shop Boys' website!). Knowing my PETA sympathies a friend asked me about it and I responded: PETA is crazy.

I was once a proud, card-carrying PETA supporter. I still support the idea of PETA, and I'm willing to bet that the majority of those in this country do support the ethical treatment of animals. PETA's undercover work exposing inhumane and often barbaric treatment of animals is excellent and I hope it continues. What I wish wouldn't continue are these ridiculous marketing/awareness campaigns. They simply go too far. Instead of bringing more people to the fold I'm convinced they actually do the opposite and push potential supporters away. PETA comes across as extremist (and they are) and instead of making people aware of really valid issues involving animal cruelty, they end up looking foolish. Rush Limbaugh and is ilk call PETA and other animal rights organizations "terrorists", which they clearly are not, no more than the NRA, at least. But PETA just gives him more and more reason to say such things and people believe him.

PETA is only preaching to the choir with their antics. Far-left, vegan activists love that stuff. If PETA wants to make real progress, however, they need to tone it down. Instead of shock and awe, try awareness programs that schools can actually enage in; work with local animal shelters, not against them; market to the middle, not the left (you already have their support); and quit doing and saying things that make fools of themselves and people and organizations that having nothing to do with PETA but because they care about the same things are vilified by association.

PETA has my moral support and that's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment