Monday, May 4, 2009

Triple Crown

Like I do every year, I watched the Kentucky Derby this weekend. I don't bet on the horses, could care less about the hats and who's in attendance, and I'm not all that interested in the lives of the jockeys, trainers, and owners. Sometimes I choose a favorite based on the horse's name or its appearance, but generally speaking it doesn't matter to me who wins, just as long as I get to see the race. I simply love to see horses run. I can watch Secretariat's win at the Belmont in 1973 over and over again.

I've occasionally wondered whether my love of horse racing undermines my animal activism. Not really. For starters, I'm an arm-chair activist: I donate money and send emails and that's about it. I don't go to rallies or demonstrations or canvass neighborhoods for support. I know which of my friends are sympathetic to my "causes" and I don't force my views on the others (posting on Facebook is not forcing - you can choose not to read my posts!). So to call me an activist is a bit of a stretch. Second, thoroughbred horses are big investments (Mind That Bird, the newest Derby winner, was bought for a measly $9,500) and are overwhelmingly treated very well by their owners. I do have issues with what happens to those horses that don't get to spend their retirement as studs but until I stop eating beef, chicken, pork and lamb, my argument is is lacking.

PETA would certainly say that horse racing is unethical as it exploits horses for our entertainment, and I don't disagree. It is exploitation...but it's an exploitation with which I am comfortable. I'm not comfortable with dog fighting, cock fights, bear baiting, hunting with dogs, zoos, aquariums, animal testing, snake hunts, prairie dog shoots, and circuses, to name just a few of the human activities where animals are exploited for entertainment. Perhaps my fondness for horse-related sports (racing, equestrian events and rodeos) makes me a hypocrite. So be it. Must be the "liberal" in me.

I'll watch the Preakness and the Belmont, too, and once again be awed by the power, grace, and beauty of the horses and the thrill of the race. If you haven't before, you really should sacrifice the 2-3 minutes it takes to watch those races. The Triple Crown isn't the Super Bowl, Wimbledon, The Master's, Final Four, World Series, or Stanley Cup. It's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment